I just got a job offer from this small company I interviewed at. While I’m really happy they made me an offer, I’ve had so many doubts along this journey – doubts whether or not I’m ready to leave my company yet, whether this is the right company for me, where I want my career to go, etc. Mainly, I feel like I still have opportunities to grow here and I’m not ready to move on just yet. However, I figured if they made me a really strong offer, it might sway my decision.
They ended up offering me just 2% more than what I make now. However, the other perks were really nice – they offered equity in the company (which I had to do some research about). Once I realized that equity isn’t really a guaranteed thing though, I really wanted a higher base salary. They didn’t seem to be willing to budge on that so I decided that it wasn’t the right place for me. I just have too much going on here to be ready to make that jump.
They want to talk to me tonight to explain more about the company and the offer. I’m trying to keep an open mind about it but it’s hard because I felt I already made a decision. I’ll still talk to them as they were all really great people and I loved meeting them – but I’m not really sure what to do at this point.
All I know is I feel damn lucky to have a great job right now as well as another offer on the table. This is one of those times when you think, “This is a good problem to have.”
Any opinions about having equity in a small company? Does it make having a lateral salary worth it?